Monday, September 29, 2008

Barbie on the Babary Coast





















Notice the umbrella with glass fish bead on top. Barbie is sporting a handmade paper sundress with a Don Loper tag. Her pet parrot is close by and she is enjoying a long tall drink. Her sandals and beach umbrella are also handmade using patterned paper from Angel Company The beach chair is made from grape vine and is vintage 1980.
Barbie on the Barbary Coast won a 2nd place ribbon in an art show and I was proud as I could be.




























My Art Club held an art contest with the theme of "As cold as a long tall drink". I'd wanted to do an assemblage art piece for a long time because I have a friend, Sandy Branjord, that is a wonderful assemblage artist and I am always inspired by her artwork. So, I threw caution to the wind when my other friend, Vicki McCaul, found this very old Barbie at a flea market and brought it to me. I had so much fun creating this, and it brought back childhood memories of playing with my Barbies. Her beach is sandpaper that is strewn with shells, beach rocks, glitter and micro beads to represent water. Her tag that is hanging on the side says "they say ice water pumps through her veins, that is, supposing she has a heart." Ahh...cold as a long tall drink!

I will always remember the days I got to play again. I am so blessed to be able to play at my age. I wish more people would take the plunge. Anyway, I present "Barbie on the Barbary Coast".
Price of this artwork is $295.00 plus S/H

No comments: